29 November, 2019
Fluffy Lemon Rosemary Cake With Lemon Cream Cheese FrostingPosted in : Food Recipes on by : Admin
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 1/2 cups (280 gr) cake flour, plus extra for dusting pans
- 1 1/4 tsp (5 gr) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (2 gr) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (3.6 gr) Morton kosher salt or table salt (use 1 1/2 tsp if using Diamond kosher)
- 1 3/4 cups (343 gr) granulated sugar (divided)
- 10 tablespoons (140 gr) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup (237 ml) buttermilk, room temperature
- 3 TBSP (44 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- 1 TBSP fresh rosemary, minced
- 6 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
FOR THE FROSTING
- 8 oz (224 gr) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 112 gr) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cup (298 gr) confectioners sugar
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 8″ or 9″ round cake pans. Dust pans with flour and tap out excess any excess.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 1/2 cups sugar. In another bowl whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, lemon zest, rosemary and egg yolks.
- For the meringue: In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium speed until foamy. With machine running, stream in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat at high speed just until stiff peaks form. Gently transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add flour mixture to the empty stand mixer bowl fitted with whisk attachment. With mixer running at low speed, gradually pour in butter mixture and mix for about 10 seconds. Stop mixer and thoroughly scrape down the bowl. Mix again on medium for 20 more seconds just until combined.
- Using rubber spatula, gently fold in 1/2 of the meringue just until incorporated. Then fold in the rest of the meringue. Be very gentle to not deflate the air in the meringue. You will have a few white streaks in the batter. Divide batter evenly between your prepared cake pans.
- Place pans on a half-sheet pan and bake on the center rack in the oven at 350F for 20-25 minutes, rotating halfway through. The cake will begin pulling away Bake until cake layers begin to pull away from sides of pans and will no longer jiggle in the center when it is finished.
- Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a thin bladed knife around the sides of the pans to loosen cakes then invert on a greased wire rack. Allow to cool completely (about 1 more hour) before frosting.
For the Frosting
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until combined and creamy. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE