12 July, 2019
Best Cinnamon Chip Scones
Posted in : Food Recipes on by : Admin
- 3 1/2 cups (17.5 ounces) all-purpose flour (see note about whole wheat flour)
- 1/3 cup (2.75 ounces) sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces) cold butter, cut into tablespoon-sized chunks
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (5 ounces) cinnamon chips (see note)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor (see note if you don’t have one), combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is cut into smaller pieces – don’t overprocess here; the butter should be no smaller than pea-sized pieces.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla and pulse a couple of times until the dough starts to come together; don’t overmix – it’s ok if there are dry, crumbly spots here and there. Remove the blade and add the chips, using your hands to knead them in a bit. Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with 1-2 tablespoons flour and combine the dough and chips together with your hands, kneading briefly, just 2-3 times, until it comes together. Pat and lightly press the dough into a long rectangle, about 15X3-inches.
- Cut the length of dough into triangular wedges, about 12-14 and place on the baking sheet, about an inch apart. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until just lightly golden brown and no longer doughy in the center.
This article and recipes adapted fromt this site